Sunday, September 12, 2010

Misnomer: Paranoid Schizophrenia


There are a large number of people out there well versed in dime-store psychology. Just becuase you taken a class, studied a chapter in high school, or have been to a therapist... this does not give you the license to label people.When bringing up the supernatural or extraordinary events that can occur in life, most people will assume you are Paranoid Schizophrenic. However, like any science, there are certain criteria that need to be met before a label can be put on a person.

So let's start with the diagnostic criteria for Schizophrenia. There are two categories in which person who is
Schizophrenic fall under:

A. A Mood Disorder With Psychotic Features, another Psychotic Disorder, or a Pervasive Developmental Disorder and is not due to the direct physiological effects of a general medical condition

B. A pervasive pattern of detachment from social relationships and a restricted range of expression of emotions in interpersonal settings, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by four (or more) of the following:

*neither desires nor enjoys close relationships, including being part of a family

*almost always chooses solitary activities

*has little, if any, interest in having sexual experiences with another person

*takes pleasure in few, if any, activities

*lacks close friends or confidants other than first-degree relatives

*appears indifferent to the praise or criticism of others

*shows emotional coldness, detachment, or flattened affectivity

In all honesty I do not fit the criteria above. I desire and enjoy close relationships, I like sharing group experiences or activities (lifestyle leads to solitary activities since not everyone is available), I am a gay male...so I have a interest in activities, I like the things I like, and I have close friends. I try to be indifferent to praise and criticism because I do not like to feel obligated or controlled by other people, and such actions are method to shape your behavior (any psychologist can tell you that about the mechanism and use of praise and criticism in behavioral psychology). Detachment, emotional coldness, flattened affectivity...nah... cause I am very emotional person... I choose who sees what (if your not in my comfort zone then you get nothing out of me, being detached well... people come and go in ourlives and is a budhist principle). So I am not schizophrenic

WAIT.... BUT....

There is the differential diagnosis and associated disorders rights? Yeah... but first and foremost I am an individual. Yeah I may seem odd and eccentric, but who isn't? I would not be described as someone like "Howard Hughes"... now that is odd/eccentric! And suspicious? If you can read body language I give many cues. As for the associated disorder... I seriously doubt I can fall into anyone of those labels either.

So okay... what about Paranoid Disorder? Well again no. I do not meet any of the diagnostic criteria to be even considered Paranoid. To be considered paranoid (A pervasive distrust and suspiciousness of others such that their motives are interpreted as malevolent) you need to have four or more of the following:

*Suspects, without sufficient basis, that others are exploiting, harming, or deceiving him or her.

*Is preoccupied with unjustified doubts about the loyalty or trustworthiness of friends or associates.

*Is reluctant to confide in others because of unwarranted fear that the information will be used maliciously against him or her.

*Reads hidden demeaning or threatening meanings into benign remarks or events.

*Persistently bears grudges, i.e., is unforgiving of insults, injuries, or slights.

* Perceives attacks on his or her character or reputation that are not apparent to others and is quick to react angrily or to counterattack.

*Has recurrent suspicions, without justification, regarding fidelity of spouse or sexual partner.

Again.. I do not fit the criteria. I will say that I am cautious with a healthy level of distrust. We do live in a world of identity theft and low moral character.
The American Culture is all about looking out for #1 (distrusting everyone and making sure your on top). So yeah a healthy sense of doubt is needed to survive. Also I am methodical and not quick to judge until I have my facts.

Now... what does this have to doing with being an abductee? Because this phrase is commonly thrown around to ostracize us or dissuade the belief in the paranormal.
Also why would we all share the same hallucination if this was the case? Why do you have relatively trustworthy officials who are not labeled as such seeing the same thing??? These inconsistencies do show that we are not mentally unsound.

We may have symptoms due to the events that due occur, such phobia and stress disorders to name two, but there are quite a few of us that are mentally sound people. So before you open you mouth and start labellings do some research first.

A good scientist has an open mind, for discover and innovation. A person willing to admit their mistakes and learn from them. Most of all is a seeker of fact and truth that can provide evidence or observance.

No comments:

Post a Comment