Sunday, June 2, 2013

Credibility & Legitimacy



   I've been reading some comments on various articles today about varying topic. Some of the articles were from the American Scientific Journal, Huntington Post, and Yahoo news. Some articles were on religious issues, neuroscience, medicine, social studies, and law. I noticed something that was worrisome and seems to be a growing trend amongst most people..... the notion that if your not an expert; individual comments, concerns, and input is unwarranted and is invalid.

   Basically if you have are not certified in a field within the area of discussion, your observation do not matter. This is a horrible mindset to be in, as it does not all discussion in order to exchange information, nor bring new points of view in for consideration, or foster the growth understanding. We as living beings have the potential to grow in our understandings and be to adaptive. Just because I do not have degree, "a piece of paper", does not mean that I have not demonstrated a level knowledge about a certain subject. Today people have easier access to information, and we are bombarded with information on a constant basis. much of the entertainment we subject ourselves to additionally teaches us certain sets of skills that we may not be aware of. For example, as a fan of the television show "Bizarre Foods"  it has broaden my knowledge of cultural studies concerning what people eat. Although this is entertainment, it is also very informative. When I was a kid, I picked up my driving skills from years of playing video games. After all, naval personal learn to steer a submarine through simulations which is no different from my driving skills I gained from playing a video game.

   Regardless of our educational status or level, we are always observing and collecting data. We may not individual processes it in all the same fashion, but it is the same data. Also if you do not have an understanding of the data, we can conceptualization it within the context of our own experience to process it.
This context experience data can then at a future date with better understanding, can be re-assessed in order to bring new insights. That is how we learn. No paper is needed for that. Experience, Observation, and Discussion are the best teachers. So even though I am not a neurosurgeon, based upon my experience I have valid comments to add to a discussion. If I am misinformed I have no problem with that, and hopefully the individual can briefly educate my on way I was incorrect. Yet my misinformed thoughts can bring no points of view and new questions to the topic that none may have thought of. 
 
   I may not be the ultimate authority upon the subject I speak upon, I may not be considered an expert on the subject. At best my education level is an A.S. Degree in Material Science Engineering, which encompasses Quantitative and Qualitative Analysis, Metallurgy, Radiology, Welding, Foundry, Study of Polymers. Since 1st Grade to Freshman Year of College I have take Christian Theological Classes, and have experience for 4 years serving an altar boy in a catholic church. Since I was able to read my interests have been in the fields of geology, geography, gemology, herbalism, mythology, the paranormal, biology, xenobiology, psychology, mysticism, zoology, ancient history, ancient languages.

   I consider myself highly adaptive in that I can learn skill sets quickly, incorporate them, and re-assess them to attain more efficient and productive levels than may peers. I attempt to be as empathetic and objective as possible, but I can become highly passionate about certain things. I uphold the idea of open discussion and fostering of understanding. Although I act and think as an individual, I lead by example and work well in small groups of three if I am committed. Personal responsibility make the whole group stronger. If an other member is deficient, I believe in working harder to maintain stability, while attempting to enrich and help the deficient member of the group to excel. Although I was indoctrinated and inundated with christian teachings and values, of come in to encompass of views and philosophies as well. I do my best to deal facts and validate the truths I come to learn   


   At best I am considered an Amateur or an Enthusiast, to say a hobbyist would be insulting as this is something that I do not do for fun or leisure since it deals with serious and life threatening topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment