Saturday, July 4, 2015

Social Media and Monetization with your experiences


Yeah... that's my actual subscriptions

In our culture today, social media play an important role. It keeps us informed up to the second on the status of our friends, families, and interest. It also connects us as a global community as well.
We have Blogs, Vlogs, Youtube videos, Vidme videos, message boards, websites, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, ftp sites, Apps, and another hundred was to share our experiences. In the past 20 years more and more evidence and experiences are being shared. You really no longer need an author or a production company to look for to find the information you want. You can go directly to the raw data and the source to get a shared experience. Individuals are coming forward some for profit, some for fame, some for altruistic means, and some for scholastic interests.

I see myself as individual who is on here to share and document my experiences in an altruistic fashion. I want answers and perhaps to find a solution.explanation as to what is going on. If my experience and thoughts can contribute to helping individuals along the way that is great. There are many people out there who do generally want to help, some people sacrifice as much, and do things because it is the right thing to do. It is all about intentions.

However, as I mentioned before people may exploit the subject at hand. Profit is a motivating goal because it is their lively hood. Either because they need funding for more research, funding to go on speaking tours, funding to make money for their livelihood, or for fame. Becoming an "expert" can be profitable considering you become famous with in a microcosm and you are invited to radio and talk shows. Each speaking engagement garners the ability to make money. Likewise if you write a book that is more money. Then soon you end up on TV shows..... but in the end... you as a person gain nothing.... someone whether it be a researcher, author, or producer gains the fame and fortune.... and ironically... just like the abduction experience... you are just subject matter.

So what can one who has had an experience do to profit from this type of exploitation? Really nothing as, there are thousand of people willing to talk for their own reasons. The only way to profit from this is to swim with these individuals and hope your experience is of interest to the overall narrative to garner attention. Travis Wallton is a good example, he has had an experience and will to talk about for compensation as a Paid Speaker. Others like Whitely Striber wrote about his experiences and now is an expert on the subject. Yet do you really want to make money of the pain you have endured and those of others? Even if you are a therapist and become an author, were do you draw the line between making a living and simply exploiting your patients? It is a fine line and one I would dread to walk because I can't see the lines. In the end though, it is the way the world works.

So decide as an individual what you want to do. If you can make a career then go for it, but keep in mind that these are fellow individuals who may have suffered a trauma. I myself want to help people, I freely share my information and thoughts. I have a 9-5 job and struggle by like everyone else. I personally would feel guilty from profiting. That is a personality trait flaw... I am generous and horrible at making  money in less than traditional ways. I can think about doing those things, but I am an extremist who does his best to be moderate/diplomatic. Ideally if I had the means, I would like to pursue psychological career path in order to specialize and treat individuals who have experience an alien abduction or encounter. Unlike other I would like to collect the information as a "medical" doctor should and cataloger the data and figure out some answers or at the very least have academic research available to others.

If you wanna make money using social media... Youtube and amazon.com are good for starters. If you site gets enough hits you can make money very advertisement streams. However you have to ensure traffic and provide content. Right now "Aliens" are the "new zombies"... something that is of current interest. The traditional way is to establish yourself as an author or expert on the subject. If you have a wealth of data and information that you can put into an informative and entertaining medium... you can make money the more traditional route. Like any entertainment professional though you need to be aware of you social image, and in our society we know what sells. Now in my personal opinion... that means currently conform to the modern idea of beauty... athletically fit, outgoing personality, good hair, good teeth, and dress for success. If your less than perfect, hopefully you have a gimmick or a great personality.

Personal Note: In the past I have been approached with opportunities to be part of certain documentaries. I shied away from them because I felt they were exploitative and seemed to view the phenomena as something wacky and odd. However as today culture is becoming more transparent, I have decided to change my stance. You have Vloggers who are changing people's lives by being open an accessible. It might just be the folly of youth, but individuals whp share their live like Joey Graceffa or Lucas Cruikshank... have given me the courage to test the water. Though they were famous before, their openness is something to be admired. Although I see no reason to be o Facebook or other social media... more of a quality few then many friends kinda a guy.   

No comments:

Post a Comment